Friday, February 24, 2017

Why I am committed to being “Open to the Open” By: Nicole Stoddart

Nicole Hitting Open workout 15.1

Why I am committed to being “Open to the Open”

By: Nicole Stoddart

I’m an introvert, which means I typically don’t like to be challenged, but just because I am afraid of something doesn’t mean I won’t do it!  This applies in my job, at home, as well as at the gym.  I am a 43-year old woman who is a wife, Mom of a teen (and two dogs), a Deputy Director within National Defence, and a Masters athlete; I am proud of all these accomplishments!  Notice I didn’t say that I’m a Masters athlete who has won competitions, made it to Regionals, or even competed at the Rx level.  In the grand scheme of things, this doesn’t matter, at least not to me!

Life is busy for me, as for everyone, but taking time for physical activity has always been important to me, not simply for trying to look “good” or stay fit, but because it’s a mental release, a time that I can take strictly for myself, not think about anything, but simply concentrate on making it out alive at the end of a WOD!  Bottom line, CrossFit keeps me sane! Participating in the Open is a BIG challenge for me, not going to lie!  My first Open two years ago was a stepping stone for preparing mentally for something I never thought I would do; compete in CrossFit competitions!  I NEED challenges in my life, I think we all do; we need to see how far we can push ourselves, for OURSELVES!  This is important, the Open is not about comparing myself to others.  I’m not delusional, I’m not 20 years old (although I say I am still 29), I’m not going to make it to Regionals and I likely won’t be able to complete all workouts/events at the Rx level (although I will certainly make an attempt), but, I am willing to compete with the person I was the first day of Base Camp, the person I was during my first Open and even how I did in a WOD last week.  I can say with pride that I’ve improved and I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey! 

Why do I enjoy the Open?  The scaled workouts (if needed), are an opportunity for those of us that are not at the Rx level to compete; still tough for us!!  Most importantly, the Open allows to do what we are used to; complete a WOD in a friendly, fun, and familiar environment.  Again, I’m an introvert, so the hardest thing for me to do is perform in front of others.  The Open allows us to compete without being centre stage. 


We should all be proud of what we do at Starke, whether scaled, or modified, if we come in last place after a long run, after 150 wallballs, after a million thrusters!  This used to bother me (a LOT), but I have learned that I am likely the only person that cares that I am came in last.  The only thing that matters is that I finished, put my all into the WOD, and (hopefully) perform better than the last time I completed that particular skill.  We should all take that pride in our abilities a bit further and sign up for the Open and challenge ourselves.  Do not worry about where you place, simply do it for you, write down your score and know that the next time you complete 17.1-17.5 you will be better than you were in the 2017 Open!



No comments:

Post a Comment