Friday, February 17, 2017

My First Individual RX'd Competiton by Starke CDP Coach Jon Martens


My First Individual RX'd Competiton 
by Starke CDP Coach Jon Martens 
Photo Credit: Eric Kapilik

On February 11th I had the privilege of competing in the Men's Lululemon invitational. This one-day throw down, which was held at Undefeated Cross fit, was my first Individual Rx competition.  It was an amazing event. The programming was great and the atmosphere was even better.

Going into this competition, I was very excited. I had always wanted to do an individual competition, and this was my chance. I tested the workouts that they had announced, and created strategies to attack them. I was confident with my training leading up and I believed that I would place well. 

When Feb 11th finally rolled around I was very excited to see how it would go.  Thirty high level athletes from across Manitoba were invited to this event and upon arrival it was clear to see how deep the field was and how talented these other athletes were.

After all was said and done, I ended up taking 15th place. When I saw the standings at the end of the day and realized that I didn’t even make the final heat, I couldn’t help but be disappointed. I had put in so much work in the prior months in hopes to make the top ten, or even fight for a podium spot. I felt so frustrated with the result that I had forgotten about all the progress I had made over the last two years since I started cross fit. 

After pondering my “poor” performance in the days to follow I came to the realization that there is nothing I could have done about the situation. I gave one hundred percent effort in every workout and I did the best I could do. The athletes in higher positions were more experienced and had been training much longer then I had.  It made me realize that I should be happy with my result because I know how much I have improved since last year.

For me, competitions are not just about proving my fitness. They are about gaining experience and understanding where my weaknesses lie.  They give me insight into what I need to focus on in the gym, whether that’s learning a new movement or refining one and making it more efficient. They also encourage me and motivate me to train. It makes me push harder knowing how much I can improve myself.  

If you have been contemplating doing your first competition or maybe registering for the open, I would strongly encourage you to do so. Competitions are way more then just placement on a leader board. They are there for you to tap into your true potential and most importantly there to be enjoyed. Don’t take yourself to seriously and beat yourself down when you don’t place as well as you expected to. Remember to enjoy the experience and be proud of your efforts.

Happy Training,
Jon Martens


No comments:

Post a Comment