Friday, April 22, 2016

Your mind will always quit before your body does...

Your mind will always quit before your body does
I am a big believer that one of the greatest obstacles to finishing a workout, is not the workout itself, but the inner battle we have within our own minds. Many times when I am working out at the gym I hear amazing people putting themselves down, with the number one phrase “I CAN’T”. I think we are all guilty of doing this, but I think it is time we take notice of the negative self talk and see how it is really affecting us and our success we have at the gym and even in life! My premier soccer coach told us years ago that, “It is not your body that will fail you first it will be your mind. Your mind telling you that you are tired, you can’t breathe, you have a cramp, your legs are sore and that you need to stop and take a break”. This really stuck with me throughout my years of training as it made me more aware of what was going on in my mind when things started to get tough. Did I really physically need a break? Or was that my mind telling me that I did because things were getting “hard” and my mental toughness was being challenged.

Last summer when I participated in the Olympic triathlon at Riding Mountain National park, it turned out to be the biggest mental challenge I had ever experienced in sport. With a poorly fitted wetsuit I struggled during the swim. I fell to the back of the group and could barely string my strokes together. I couldn’t even tell you how many times I just wanted to give up; even sinking to the bottom of the lake seemed like an easier option. I was one of the last people to get on my bike, physically and mentally exhausted, and knowing that I still had another 50 kilometers in my race was emotionally overwhelming. During the bike course all I could focus on were all of the people coming back from the turn around. There was even this perfect spot to see all of the people hitting the turn around on their 10km run, while I was still on my bike. Talk about a low mental blow! Heading into transition and into my weakest leg of the race, running, I got to watch people finish their race and see all the people already finished. With tears streaming down my race I ran out onto the path and I could hardly run 20 steps without stopping to walk, I was slowing breaking. At that point I just tried to keep moving and grasped onto the encouragement from other athletes and volunteers. I mentally broke when Paul and Lorrie came out on their bikes to find me. It was such a supportive gesture that I was so emotionally overwhelmed I was either going to break into tears and stop or find that strength in me to keep going, and I kept going. Having them with me during those last couple of kilometers kept me going and I am grateful to have such supportive friends/coaches. Quitting was really never an option but I sure thought about it a lot that day. Even though I finished, at first I was so disappointed in myself, I had expected to do better, I felt broken. It took a little while but then I realized how much I learned from that experience and how strong mentally I really was. After everything I endured mentally, I didn’t give up, I finished. It may not have been the race I had planned for but in the end it didn’t matter how long it took me, I fought and argued with that negative voice in my head and I won.

I am sure most people can relate on different levels to my experience. Maybe it was a 5km run, half marathon, weightlifting competition or even a five minute AMRAP, we have all been there. The point is being aware of the evil negative voice chirping at you in your head. Shut that negative self talk out. As athletes we spend a lot of time focusing on our weaknesses and trying to be better than yesterday. With our focus being on physical training, eating well and sleeping more let’s not forget that training your brain could be equally important. Create positive thoughts; “I CAN” and “I WILL”. Have a plan before starting a workout; break up the reps into manageable goals and plan opportunities to have “mini” rests as something to work towards. Program your “self talk” to what you want instead of what you don’t want. For example, reinforce the thought that you want to make your next lift, not that you don’t want to miss another.


There will always be ups and downs but from those experiences focus on the positives. Be proud of what you accomplish, embrace those PR’s no matter what! You’re already a winner getting out of your house and get your sweat on at Starke! Henry Ford said it best, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t- you’re right.” So the next time you’re working out, push for that extra rep when you think you have nothing left, I bet you will be able to do it.

Caitlin Ring (aka Wifey) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment