Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Over two years of CrossFit and NO INJURIES!


I wanted to write this article because I have been doing CrossFit for over two years now and have not had any injuries. I have seen the videos, I have read the articles and I know why it happens to people. I would like to share what has worked for me and recommendations I make to people at our gym all the time.

First of all let me give you a little bit of my background and history of injuries.

1997 Compound fracture to my femur doing motocross. 3 months in hospital, 9 surgeries, reconstructed femur with surgical steel, (rods and plates), screws, and having my hips cut open to harvest bone (shave it off) and graft it to my leg with hopes of it re-calcifying. 7 months on crutches, 1 year of rehab and I was told that I would never walk normally again, run, kick a soccer ball and I would have issues for the rest of my life.

Multiple injuries in competitive Kickboxing, BMX biking, and Mountain Biking.

Broken neck & back rock climbing in 2004. I was in severe pain and could not train properly for over 2 years. I had to watch every move I made and would be in tears if I sat more than 10 minutes because of the pain in my back.
Note: Make sure when you go climbing you have a belayer that you trust and is paying attention

The Ironman Triathlon and Long Distance years.... These were all long workouts and the main focus was on endurance and the constant training of swimming, biking, and running. This training left issues with impingement, stress fractures, and constant issues due to training volume to compete in these events.

After doing over two years of crossFit I have not had a single injury that has sidelined me from training and a big part of that is because I know my limitations. I stick to a few key concepts that I employ in my gym and expect all staff and members to do the same.

1. IF IT HURTS DON'T DO IT!

If you don't aren't familiar with the movement or your body has not yet adapted to it because of limitations with mobility or coordination then modify it, use less weight, change it to another exercise that works the same muscle group. If you push through or are stubborn you are asking for trouble.

2. USE LESS WEIGHT & MAKE IT LOOK BEAUTIFUL

Use less weight until you can control the movement and make it look beautiful. Once you can do that then add some weight and challenge yourself but only if it still looks beautiful.

3. PERFECTION TAKES TIME

To perfect a movement it takes time. To perfect a complex movement it takes a hell of a lot of time. This is one reason I get everyone that joins our gym to do a foundations course. They learn most of  the techniques we use in class. I teach people to do the movements the best they can with what their bodies will allow at the time. When people work on mobility and skills to get better and stronger in the movements it will help them to get into better positions then we can step it up.

4. TAKE YOUR TIME

When learning a new skill slow it down. Don't try and learn it in one day or week... Let it happen naturally with consistent exposure to the movement. When I am trying to learn a new complex skill I  practice every two or three days to allow my body time to recover and adapt. Your muscles and connective tissues need time to recover if you are using them in ways that you haven't moved your body and pushing through pain it can lead to injury. Listen to your body. Pain is a point where you have already done damage and its the body's last resort to letting you know that something is wrong.

5. BE PATIENT

There is a lot to learn in CrossFit. You need to be patient and consistent. Most people take years to get out of shape and gain weight. Chances are its going to take a while for people to get back into shape and be able to do some of the things in a typical CrossFit WOD this is why proper progressions are important.

I tell everyone in Foundations (our intro class) not to worry about what everyone else is doing in class and focus on what you are doing and can do. Olympic lifts, gymnastics skills, heavy lifts all take time, concentration, and dedication. If you want to get good at these things its going to take some serious work, commitment, and patience on your part.

6. KNOW WHEN TO HOLD THEM AND KNOW WHEN TO FOLD THEM

It's great having people cheer you on in a workout and tell you to "pick up the bar" but when its unsafe then take those extra seconds until you are good to go again. Safety is always a concern no matter what you do and risk is always there. Biking to work, texting and driving, any type of racing will have risks. You can limit the risks and train and compete smart by working within your means. Know your body and your limits.

7. WHAT ARE YOU TRAINING FOR AND WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO RISK?

I tell athletes at our gym (and I consider everyone and athlete) that you need to know why you are doing this and what your are willing to risk. If you want to do the CrossFit open and be competitive and compete for a spot in regionals then you are willing to push yourself more and sacrifice yourself a little more than the person who trains for fun and because they love it. If regionals is your goal then it will take time to get there. Dont expect it to happen unless you have some solid lifts and form in all areas.

We all have jobs and obligations that we need to be healthy for so I recommend that most people shouldn't bury themselves in a workout so they can't function for days after.

I have known professional athletes and Olympic athletes over the years and they have all had issues and injuries due to the demands of professional sport. They have the best care yet don't get much down time or sympathy when they are injured.

When you are getting paid millions to play in the NFL you can get patched up quickly so that you can get back on the field and fulfill your contract.

I know Olympic athletes that are always broken but if they tell the coach they need some time off then the next person on the team is in line ready to take their spot.

Keep in mind what are you training for and try new things but know your limits.

8. SAY NO TO EGO

I know we have lost some male prospects because some of the girls at the gym lift more than they can and they don't like that. My recommendation is GET OVER IT! I know somewhere a woman out there is kicking my ass in movements that I think I'm doing well in or lifting more than me but its not about what they can do (more power to them). Focus on what you can do and where you want to get to not what everyone else can do and what they are lifting.

9. FIND A GYM AND COACHES THAT UNDERSTAND YOU AND YOUR GOALS

I know there are great gyms out there and great coaches that can help you. I also know there are bad ones out there that can hurt you. Take your time and try some different places out. If you go somewhere that kills you on the first day and gets you doing things with weights that you have never used in movements that you don't yet know then you should probably leave (typically that's not good for business or for new members).

If you find somewhere that will adapt the workout, weight and even the exercises for you then that's a good start.

At a place I used to work at I watched (along with one of my training clients) one of the personal trainers with two degrees and a masters teach a client how to do a Kettlebell swing with a 30lb Kettlebell by almost dragging the bell across the ground and lifting it overhead. It looked nothing like a proper kettlebell swing and the potential for injury was sky high. My client said "my back hurts just watching that". It was a #proudcoach moment because my guy understood what the movement should look like and could tell what you are sacraficing by using improper form (her back in this case).

I also have a client that just joined our gym recently that was training out of a place thats been open and working with professional athletes for over 20 years. They had our client doing an Ab-wheel exercise. Great exercise (see photo below) but the caoch wanted our clients feet on an exercise ball and instead of a wheel they used a barbell with weights on the end to roll out and back. I have used to barbell with knees on a mat but feet on an exercise ball? Our new member rolled out and couldn't maintain position and ripped their rotator cuff off.


I was watching one of our athletes during a workout and he was favouring his shoulder. I approached him and asked what was up. He said he aggrivated it during a competition (not CrossFit) and didn't want me to change the exercise because he didn't want to look like "a weak link". I told him if I feel a little something goin on in an area that we are training I am the first to change the exercise to let that area rest so it's good to go in a couple days.

My point is, question movements if they don't look or feel right or if you are worried that they can cause injury. It's not worth it and your coach should agree.


10. ENJOY THE RIDE

CrossFit has been an awesome experience and I am far from where I want to be with it. I know its going to take more time and patience to get where I want to be with it but I'm willing to put in the time, effort and dedication to a sport/sports that I love (Olympic lifting, Gymnastics, Power Lifting).
I know I'm willing to risk a little more for my goals over the next year but I am not willing to risk injury. I'm getting stronger, fitter, and faster consistently so I know the training is working. I just know its going to take a little longer to get to where I want to be.  

Be patient & persistent, dedicated & focused, determined & humble

Paul Dyck              

No comments:

Post a Comment