Monday, January 26, 2015

Carla's 2014 CrossFit Open experience


Are you thinking of doing the CrossFit open this year? Here is a post from one of our members Carla. She was a little newer to our box but had solid form and technique. She rested when needed and left a wake of destruction in pat throughout the open workouts. It was awesome having her be a part of the 2014 Open and I can't wait to see what she will do this year as the athlete she has become.

14.5 Thrusters and Burpees. Oh My!!!

I admit that I started off being very apprehensive about signing up for the Crossfit Open.  I thought I was ‘too new’ to enter a competition as I had only been doing Crossfit for 6ish months.  After all, there were lots of things I could not do in the box that I imagined would be important in the Open, like headstand push-ups, chest-to-bar pull-ups , muscle ups, Olympic lifts, and the list goes on.  However, I learned very quickly that none of that mattered.  What mattered was the effort and determination that went into every rep, the satisfaction of doing my best, learning where I needed to improve and most importantly celebrating our successes (and the end) of every workout with the Starke family. 

It was an inspirational experience that was loaded with rewards.  The pain was temporary.  Being a part of Team Starke,  and the camaraderie that goes along with that was definitely the highlight for me.  A HUGE thanks to all Paul, Jesse and all the coaches that have help me find my strength again and made it possible.  A special thanks to Laurie Kraus who threw loads of encouragement my way in the beginning…she was definitely instrumental in getting me to sign-up.  Last but not least, thanks to all the judges and especially all the Starke members who came to cheer us all on.  

And after 14.5 I thought….DONE, NEVER AGAIN! but chances are…I will likely give it a go again next year.  Hope to see you thereJ

Carla post 14.5

No comments:

Post a Comment